Construction starts Spring 2017 on the Uptown King Street protected bike lanes. Unbelieveable, I’ve pinched myself a few times to make sure I’m not dreaming! It’s been a long project, but did we (and by we, I mean you) ever change our city! (link to petition with over 1000 signatures who asked for a better design!)
I keep thinking if we are building these on King Street, we can build them anywhere … everywhere!
Next Step – Pre-Construction Public Information Centre – Jan 31 (city newsletter link)
The next step is a pre-construction public information centre at Waterloo City Hall January 31st at two times: 8am to 9.30am and 5pm to 7.30pm.
The purpose of the public information centre is to:
- Review the the final design details for the proposed 2017 improvements to King Street (ION tracks to Elgin Street);
- Learn about the planned construction timing for the project;
- Review how traffic will be affected during construction;
- Ask questions of staff from the City, Region and their consultants from IBI Group;
- Provide any comments you may have at this time.
This project is way more than just protected bike lanes, it actually started 20 years ago as a street light upgrade project and the scope has just morphed to include projected bike lanes, amongst a whole slew of infrastructure upgrades.
Final Designs should be posted by the city Feb 1st 2017.