John Griffin, City of Waterloo, Cycling Coordinator (among many hats) sent out the following email :)
Yay a million rides, though not quite critical mass …. What number of counted rides would equate to critical mass in Kitchener/Waterloo?
Good morning folks! There’s something happening in #ActiveWaterloo! 1 Million ? Are you sure ?
I remember a meeting last fall and Graham Roe said to me “We need to build a better bicycle culture in Waterloo” he was right – and we did it together!
Waterloo officially has an Active culture folks and all of you have helped to build it.
- There’s lots of work left to do but the culture is here ü
- This committee of Council in partnership with our community partners, internal/external stakeholders has helped Engineer, Encourage, Evaluate & Plan, Enforce, and Educate our community to make it a more Active community ü
Our Waterloo Advisory Committee on Active Transportation set a goal this year to hit 1 Million Active trips across our (10) counters;
As of this morning we have counted 963,429 trips;
There’s 36,571 trips to go;
We are averaging between 4,000 and 6,000 combined trips per day across our counters;
I estimate that the week of October 3rd we’ll have exceeded 1 Million trips in 1 year (2016)!
- I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the following people and organizations for their hard work, coordination, cycling efforts, support, comments, and suggestions about how to be more Bicycle Friendly:
o Our own Waterloo Advisory Committee on Active Transportation;
o Christine Koehler – Acting Director Transportation Operations – City of Waterloo;
o Christine Tettman – Parking Manager – City of Waterloo;
o Justin Jones – Share the Road;
o Philip Martin – Cycling into the Future;
o Alain Franq – President of the Waterloo Cycling Club;
o Colleen Cooper – Region of Waterloo Public Health Nurse/CAN-BIKE Power lifter – Ret.;
o Jeff Casello – Associate Dean – Undergraduate Studies – Faculty of Environment Associate Professor School of Planning and Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering University of Waterloo;
o Stephanie Watson – Region of Waterloo Public Health Nurse/IMPACT Member;
o Bill Bean – CAN-BIKE Coordinator;
o Chris Klein & Mike Boos – TriTag;
o Jane Snyder & Paulina Rodriguez – Community Access Bike Share
o Danny Pimentel – City of Kitchener;
o Matthew Sweet – City of Cambridge;
o Bob Henderson – Region of Waterloo;
o Geoffrey Keyworth – Region of Waterloo;
o Al McLeod – Region of Waterloo;
o Sean Wraight – Province of Ontario;
o Kevan Marshall – Region of Waterloo;
o Julie Belanger – Region of Waterloo;
I expect that this usage (these 1 Million trips) will be a significant contribution for our next Share the Road application
***GOING FOR GOLD!**
Looking for the latest information about ROAD CLOSURES, VEHICLE AND PEDESTRIAN DETOURS ?
– Along the ION LRT route, click on this link: http://www.rideion.ca/traffic-updates.html
– Other road closures and pedestrian detours, click on this link: http://www.waterloo.ca/en/closures/closures.aspx
John Griffin, CLD, OALA (Associate)
Associate Landscape Architect, Project Manager
Active Transportation & LRT Integration
Engineering Services I Integrated Planning and Public Works I City of Waterloo
Waterloo City Centre
100 Regina Street South
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo ON N2J 4A8