Ever since Dalton McGuinty called the September 6th By Election in Waterloo I’m eager to hear if bicycling will enter the conversation. Especially since a cyclist’s death in our riding was one of the catalysts of the recent coroner’s report on cycling deaths in Ontario.
Based on your feedback here’s what I’m asking the leading candidates:
- How often do you ride your bicycle? If you do, why do you ride?
- What are the top improvements needed in this riding to make bicycling better?
- Which of the recommendations in the coroners report caught your attention and why?
- How will you advocate on behalf of this riding’s cyclists at Queen’s Park?
Some additional questions from the comment section of this post:
- Where’s the Ontario version of la route verte? Closely related to where is our provincial master cycling plan?
- Will you commit to re-introducing the Sales Tax exemption for bicycles costing under $1000, and for bicycle safety equipment, in the form of partial HST exemption?
I fully intend to send the list of questions to each candidate and ask for an interview or at least a response. My goal is to post the results prior to our election September 6 2012.